Thursday 30 July 2015

#MyDreamBathroom Competition

I recently came across a competition to Design Your Dream Bathroom. Having recently entered a competition to design my dream bedroom, this seemed like a fitting next step. This competition is hosted by Big Bathroom Shop and Tile Mountain, with one 1st place winner receiving a very generous bathroom remodel up to £3,500! The award for 2nd place is £1,000 in vouchers, and 3rd place is £500 in vouchers. 


This (above) is my bathroom - in definite need of some updating. We have been working through the house, decorating and/or redecorating, but for some reason the bathroom always seems to miss out. We did put a new lino flooring in there about a year ago, which is a huge improvement on the previous floor. It's not the best picture - apologies, for some reason it's all showing up somewhat dark here, the colours are closer/more accurate in the picture below ... but you get the general idea. It's a bit dated. It's not a particularly big bathroom either - there's space for the suite, and that's about it. Currently: we have a bath-with-shower-attachment, a toilet, a bidet, and (behind the door) a vanity storage cupboard with built in sink. There's also a razor light above the mirror, a small radiator, and a towel rail.


The walls (and cupboard doors) are a sort of Cornish Cream colour, and pick up on the pattern colour in the tiles. The worktop and tiles also look a bit dated now, and the suite - although relatively pale - is in a shade called whisper peach. The biggest problem that we have found, however, is that the layout is all wrong.

Ideally, the sink (and storage) should be on the opposite wall - the very first items to greet you as you come in - not behind the door as you walk into the room. The toilet (and maybe bidet) could also move to the same wall. The wall where the sink currently is could then hold a bigger bath or, preferably, a massive shower! This would also make the room feel bigger, add a little more privacy, and leave the wall under the window open for a little bit of additional storage.

Bathroom suites


Phoenix Emma Pottery | Big Bathroom Shop (£643.73)

In designing a new bathroom, the first thing I would choose is a white bathroom suite. I love white bathrooms, modern and clean and bright, and a lovely big shower is also very high on my dream-bathroom-list. My family all tend to have showers, we don't really use the bath very much at all - although it's nice every now and then for some relaxing. Mostly the bath is used to wash the dogs, so it would be really great to have something a little more practical.

I really like the design of this Phoenix Emma Pottery suite, the rounded shapes of all of the units are both practical and pretty. I also think it's important to choose furniture (particularly in kitchens and bathrooms - cupboard doors, eg) that are easy to clean and that age well. This bathroom suite ticks all of these boxes, and includes a range of design, storage and tap options. I tend to think that long-term benefits outweigh short-term cost, and the small additional fee for these extra options (bigger shower, toilet with greater comfort, better taps, etc) is more than fair for the added value and improved use. This suite, with the options I would choose, comes to £643.73. Click on the link above to select your own choices.

Twyford Alcona | Big Bathroom Shop (£1028.18)

My second choice is this beautiful white Twyford Alcona suite. It's a little cosier and more relaxed feeling than the Phoenix Emma Pottery suite. In terms of shape, this one might be my favourite (though I love the luxury shower design of the previous option, and the clean, glossy finish of the next one!). I really love the rounded, simple design. There's a range of upgrade/alternative options for this suite too, including the option to install a shower mixer above the bath. This warm, clean, relaxed design would be ideal for my bathroom - with the sink and toilet on the wall as you enter the room, and the bath behind the door. It's modern, practical, and a beautiful suite.

Ultra Design Showerbath Suite | Big Bathroom Shop (£1145.28)

Finally, I really love this Ultra Design Showerbath Suite, comprising a range of different unit options. Again, I would upgrade the standard pieces to the bigger and more luxurious ones, which brings the total to £1145.28. Click on the link above to select your own options. This suite is ideal for my bathroom, combining a bath with built in shower and mixer taps - it's also a little wider at the shower end for optimum comfort and ease of use. The toilet is a practical and clean design, built into a handy unit that conceals the cistern. The sink (basin), also, is built in to a practical and attractive unit - providing handy storage for the various bathroom essentials and paraphernalia. I really love the sleek white design of this suite - it's modern, timeless, and the neat, glossy, flat surfaces make it super easy to keep clean.

Bathroom tiles


London | Tile Mountain (£5.81/tile)

As well as a new suite, I'd love to replace the tiles in my bathroom to something a little more modern. I've never really liked our current bathroom tiles, so something new would be quite exciting. Ideally, I'd love a natural, neutral design/colour theme.

I love these 'London' tiles from Tile Mountain. I really like the brick-effect, the textured impression, and the muted (but not plain) colour(s). I have selected these tiles in white, but there is also a red option (click the link to view the colours). I think these would look great with one of the white bathroom suites above.

Cappuccino Marble | Tile Mountin (£4.18-5.99/tile)

I also really like these Cappuccino Marble tiles. There are two designs in this range: the larger (wall area) tiles, and the smaller (shower area) ones. I think they are beautiful together, and create a bathroom that feels warm, rich, and comfortable. I could definitely relax in a bathroom that looked like this picture! I also like the natural, earthy colours.

Finally, I really like these brick-effect tiles in the Metro range. Similar to the London range in pattern, they have a smoother and glossier feel and come in a variety of colours (including some funky and bright ones). I really quite like the tiles in sage (see picture below), though for a bathroom I would choose them in cream (as below). I did consider white tiles, but I think it's nicer to have another colour for the bathroom suite to be against.

Metro (Sage) | Tile Mountain

Metro (Cream) | Tile Mountain (£0.58)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...